Monday, December 28, 2009

Turning 27 - Message in a Bottle

I'm turning 27 in a month and I need to write about it.
25 is exciting because it's a quarter century. You're still swinging from your "early" twenties at that point and so there is nothing to stop and think about. 26 comes around like a shadow still clinging to 25. Like 25's afterthought. Not really its own separate entity. And then 27.

27 is unlike its two predecessors. It cannot claim to be 25's shadow because it is too far removed. It has none of the glamour or excitement of 25. It is neither here nor there. It is an age of transition. Transition from the twenties, and the much debated descent to 30. I was going to say "climb" or "ascent" to make aging sound less grim, but frankly time passes so quickly I cannot in good conscience attribute too much effort to aging. Though life can certainly throw plenty of hardballs at you as you get older... so perhaps "climb" or "ascent" are actually quite justified.

I don't know if anyone at all will read this, but I think I feel the need to throw this out into the open. Like a message in a bottle. It might remain floating at sea, sealed and unopened forever, but at least it's a message.

3 Great Women, and What They Accomplished at 27

They were on the cusp. Georgia O'Keefe taught art and had her first show 3 years later. Jane Austen cut her teeth on works like 'Susan' and 'The Watsons,' and tackled 'Sense and Sensibility' 6 years later. Lucy went from show to show along with small roles in movies, and met Desi Arnaz 2 years later.

27 is on the cusp. Am I on the cusp of anything big? I wish and hope for it.

~~~

1914 Georgia O'Keefe moves to New York City to attend Columbia Teachers College. Three years later she has her first show at a NY gallery.

1802 Jane Austen receives her only proposal of marriage from Harris Bigg-Wither, an unattractive Oxford educated young man and childhood friend and heir to a large family estate. Jane accepts the proposal for practical reasons. The very next day, however, Jane withdraws her acceptance, feeling it to be a mistake. Jane works on revising Susan.

1938 Lucile Ball joined the cast of The Wonder Show starring future Wizard of Oz tin man Jack Haley and began her fifty year professional relationship with Gale Gordon, who served as the show's announcer. In 1940, Ball met Cuban-born bandleader Desi Arnaz while filming the film version of the Rodgers and Hart stage hit Too Many Girls. Ball and Arnaz connected immediately and eloped the same year, garnering much press attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment